The following photo is of the Edgar Wilson (Bill) Nye house located on land in the Buck Shoals area that is now owned by the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company. The land, then adjacent to the Biltmore Estate, was purchased from Dr. George W. Fletcher, 100 acres on the east side of the French Broad River, near Fanning’s Bridge. Nye visited Asheville in the winter of 1886-1887, rented the Fanny Blake House in Fletcher in March 1891 while this house was being built, and moved here in December 1892. This is a 12-room, 2 1/2 story Victorian house.
Click on any photo to see it in full size.
Estimated date of photo is 1915. The house is no longer standing. Photo from the North Carolina Collection at Pack Library.